Ten Reasons Why I Love My MacBook Pro

23 Apr

This article is the second in a two-part series. Please check out Part I: Ten Reasons Why I Hate My MacBook Pro.

#10 Darwin

It cannot be understated how important this was to me. I envied every Mac user who had a FreeBSD system under the hood because I know how powerful it is. As it turns out, FreeBSD is also my server OS of choice, so I feel even more at home in the OSX terminal than I do in DOS.

#9 Intel

Making the Intel switch was a brilliant move on Apple’s part. I believe that this change has initiated an impressive wave of prior wafflers, hesitant switchers, and organizations who will finally feel comfortable buying hardware that will still run Windows if necessary.

For this reason, I think my Apple shares have a really bright future.

#8 Built-In Software

My Windows disc came with a calculator and WordPad. Oh, and MSpaint. Hmm, I can’t think of anything else of use that shipped on the Windows CD. Wait, Explorer. Does that count?

I scrapped Safari for Firefox almost right away, but let’s see some of the goodies that Apple provided that I use each day:
• Dashboard
• iTunes
• Calendar
• OmniOutliner
• Spotlight

Again, this is just the daily use apps. There are probably more, and there are at least a couple dozen more very thoughtful programs that I’ll get around to using over time. I suppose Windows has Defrag. Yeah, I’ll give them that.

#7 Backlit Keyboard

Two days after Boot Camp was released, I drove down to the Apple store and spent two hours of quality time with a MacBook Pro. Before this point, I had no idea the laptops were shipping with a backlit keyboard. As small as this may be to some people, this is one of the things that pushed me over the edge at decision time.

#6 OMG So Sexy

It’s hard to argue that the MacBook Pro isn’t a well crafted and beautiful machine. With few exceptions, I believe that Apple manages to hit the sweet spot where form and function peak.

This machine manages to be brighter, longer lasting, faster, lighter, and thinner than my old Dell. In fact, it beats even the new Dell machine I was considering on every physical characteristic. Fully configured, it didn’t cost much more, either.

The aluminum case is a stroke of genius. Of course laptops are going to run hot as long as they have today’s Intel processors in them. Ony the smart laptop manufacturers make the entire laptop body a metal heatsink as opposed to a plastic insulator.

#5 Battery Life

The MacBook Pro users I interviewed before making my purchase indicated that I should expect 2.5 to 3 hours of battery life. Using the computer in a seminar, I made it through three hours of off-and-on note taking (with OmniOutliner Professional) and the system estimated I had another 2.5 left to go. This is proper power management. Heck, I left this computer sitting on the counter without power for three hours last night while we went to a movie. When I came back, the battery had only drained a few percent.

My old Dell machine would reliably gobble up a battery in 1.5 to 2.5 hours, no matter how much or little I was using it.

#4 Front Row

Where have you been all of my life?

The days of hunting for a site and selecting a player type and buffering and waiting and buffering just to watch a stinking movie preview are over. I’d never imagined that having a remote and turning your computer into your personal theater could be so sweet.

All I need to do now is plug my computer into the A/V system and I can show my wife movie previews just like they were on Tivo. I can play my iTunes library around the house without having to wear my iPod.

Now I just need to hang tight until the day Apple announces a version of the Mac Mini with a built in TV tuner and DVR software. That’s the day I’ll kick my Tivo to the curb.

#3 Security

I really do appreciate that OSX hasn’t had the virus exposure Windows has. I love that I can download and install any application I please with minimal concern for what it might do to harm my computer.

This isn’t to say that I’m going commando with my MacBook Pro. I am pleased to see the Mac community at large slowly coming to terms with the fact that they aren’t 100% immune to attacks. With increasing marketshare comes increasing scrutiny, and I for one have more clam in my system than Ivar himself!

#2 The Little Things

I appreciate the MagSafe power connector, ambient light-aware keyboard and screen brightness, dedicated CD eject key, and an audio out jack that glows red when it’s disabled. How about all of the tools you need to get started developing your own OSX apps right on the install DVD? These are a few of the little things that add up to a much greater experience.

I there are volumes to be written about the thoughtful little things that Apple includes in their products. Suffice it to say these little touches don’t go unnoticed by me.

#1 The Big Picture

The bottom line is that you are not your OS. I’m dropping Windows on my personal laptop and my work desktop (for DesktopBSD, no less) simply because I can. The applications I need most are available online or are portable to other systems, so I’m cutting the strings.

My new MacBook pro allows me to do all that while still maintaining a bridge back to the old system if I ever need it.

Conclusion

Apparently my last article struck a nerve with several people. Enough so to warrant an inbox full of flames and a couple small DOS attacks. I’d like to thank those who saw it for what it was: a rant against the things I’m having a hard time adjusting to along with a few genuine issues that I hope will change over time. For the rest of you, please look forward to my next Apple post tentatively titled “Jobs, save me from your followers!”

Several of the issues I mentioned in Part I are still concerns to me, though many may be remedied over time. A couple of my prior gripes have already been solved by helpful commenters. The rest are things that I will just have to get used to because my MacBook Pro is here to stay.

Thanks for reading my switcher story.

37 Responses to “Ten Reasons Why I Love My MacBook Pro”

1. John May 20, 2008 at 8:06 pm #

Reason #8 is very weak
    First of all, Windows XP come with MS paint, Simple Word process programs (such as Notepad, WordPad), address book, several games, Remote control program, system recovery, Windows Movie Maker, Windows Media Player, MSN messengers, calculator and whole lot more.
    What will you get on your Macbook Pro? iLife, for free? Clearly, Windows has more build in softwares.

2. James June 10, 2008 at 3:40 pm #

The only reason Mac has yet to get a virus is this:… take a simple survey, 10 people in a room.. ” how many of you own a Macintosh computer”… see how many hands go up. its just simple logic, why make a virus for the mabe 3 of 10 people in a room that own a mac, when you could be effecting hundreds, even thousands at a time… now I myself AM a mac user, and have no beef with mac, but this is why macs dont get viruses… simply because the programmers who create them, would rather spend the time effecting more then a certain % of the people who do in fact use the mac based computers.

3. drboom August 30, 2008 at 6:18 am #

i just got a macbook pro, after falling in love with it while having a play with one in a mac store.. i love it, i feel like an idiot for not embracing a mac a long time ago. switching from a pc to a mac is like going from a used toyota to a mercedes. nuff said.

4. mike February 25, 2009 at 6:16 pm #

My ten favorite things about my brand new MBP

1. Two finger scrolling. I LOVE it! Whenever I pick up another laptop now, especially browsing the internet, my heart sinks when I remember that swiping two fingers down the trackpad won’t scroll the window.

2. Spotlight. I’m blown away with the search facility. I’m used to a dog that spends hours using a magnifying glass.

3. Exposé. Flicking all my windows up to the top of screen with four fingers is so efficient. (I also want to mention that typing the é to write this paragraph was so much easier using ‘insert special character’). I love F9 or swiping four fingers down too.

4. Unibody. This laptop is just so beautiful. It looks and feels like it’s worth even more than I paid for it.

5. System Preferences. So much easier to find what you’re looking for on a mac. The search bar at the top is extremely useful.

6. My Airport Express with Airtunes. My mate told me to get one of these and I love it. I can stream music to any old speakers. It works great and the system ‘bleep’ comes out of the Macbook speakers while my tunes are playing wirelessly through my hifi. Airfoil is a great 3rd party app too.

7. The dock. Adding and removing stuff from it is a breeze. I put my applications folder down there too and all my apps pop up in a grid. Love it.

8. Detect Displays. Works brilliantly with my HDTV. I’ve put my display preferences in the menu bar.

9. iPhoto. It’s great and best of all it’s free! Detected my camera no prob, faces is great fun, the slideshows are a really nice way of showing off what your mac can do.

10. Photo Booth. I know it’s silly but isn’t this what’s life all about? A computer that’s a pleasure to use. Photo Booth is the epitome of my MBP – beautiful, fun, but at the same time useful!

5. Griffin April 9, 2009 at 5:09 am #

I’m glad to see that you at least like some things about your mac

6. Just bought one... July 18, 2010 at 10:06 pm #

Using my 15″ MBP Unibody with a 2.66 ghz intel processor and after being a PC user for 15+ years I have to agree with you man! I’m never going back!! Love this…and I didn’t even know about Frontrow until I read your article and WOW…its AWESOME!! (I just got the computer last week). even though it cost me a small fortune, it’s been worth every penny so far.

7. software development company Ranchi July 13, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

All the more reason why I love my MAC too!
    Nice post, thanks for sharing!

8. Indian exporters September 30, 2011 at 5:44 am #

I have been meaning to read this and just never got a chance. Its an issue that Im very interested in, I just started reading and Im glad I did. Youre a wonderful blogger, 1 of the most effective that Ive seen. This weblog undoubtedly has some facts on topic that I just wasnt aware of. Thanks for bringing this stuff to light.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Eklectyk Creative Media » Planning the Revolution - March 16, 2007

[...] 1 filmmaker 1 photographer 2 musicians 1 multimedia guy (tp) I used my macbook pro to fuel the whole session. I printed copies of the treatment and an agenda, showed all of our media samples, played the actual song, transcribed the lyrics, and took a few notes. [...]

2. Zolpidem. - February 27, 2010

Zolpidem online purchas….

Zolpidem tartrate. Zolpidem….

3. Zolpidem and sleepwalking. - March 2, 2010

Buy zolpidem….

Cheap zolpidem. Zolpidem. Zolpidem ambien….

4. isnoop.net blog » Blog Archive » Ten Reasons Why I Hate My MacBook Pro - November 22, 2011

[...] This article is the first in a two-part series. Please check out Part II: Ten Reasons Why I Love My MacBook Pro. [...]