Package Tracking With Google Maps

5 Mar

Package tracking with Google MapsI’ve just published an update to my universal package tracking tool that now enables you to view a map of your package’s progress as it travels across the country.

This new mapping addition builds on the original features of being able to track UPS, FedEx, USPS, and Airborne/DHL packages all in one place and having that tracking information published into a personalized RSS feed. The system automatically detects which company your tracking number belongs to and loads the package data for you.

A nice side benefit of this new addition is that I’m developing a pretty robust Google mapping class, helping my other map projects to evolve.

164 Responses to “Package Tracking With Google Maps”

1. Shlomo July 22, 2008 at 6:29 am #

Great job here.
    Quesiton: right now I eMail my customers the Federal Express tracking #. They then go to enter the tracking # and see where the package is.

Is there a way for me to give them the tracking # so when they click on it, it will go right into to show the google maps just like your example above?

2. than August 1, 2008 at 1:42 pm #

3. Rich August 5, 2008 at 12:08 pm #

I’m a Detective with the Baltimore County Police Department. We just completed a federal investigation for narcotics distribution. I’m now completing a forensic analysis of the suspect’s computer. I’ve called UPS, Fed-Ex, DHL, etc and none will offer any help.

I’m trying to find all instances of tracking numbers on the suspect’s computer. Can you provide the specific numbering convention for each carrier. I know UPS is normally “1Z”. I’m trying to find all instances of the suspect tracking packages. Knowing the specific numbering format will help greatly with the analysis of the computer.

Please email me or call 410-887-1867. I’d like to see if you know the numbering formats for each carrier.

Detective Rich Peacock
    Baltimore County Police Department
    Vice / Narcotics Section

4. tim August 8, 2008 at 12:00 pm #

You’re still having problems with smart post I note (the fedex service delivered by usps). Any chance that you can tweak the code so that if it shows as a USPS number but the result is “No record of that item” then you hand it over to fedex and see what response you get from them?

5. bill August 11, 2008 at 9:24 am #

usps started using a longer tracking number for some reason and your tracking map application does not accept it. any chance your going to update it to accept these new longer tracking numbers? (has anyone else run in to any?) i love this application, its a great use of gmaps

6. BOB D August 22, 2008 at 9:39 am #

Great work.Best tracking website available

7. Shack October 26, 2008 at 6:30 am #

Try !!!

It’s has all the counties in the World to track and trace your packages!!

With 2 clicks I can track and trace anywhere in the world!!

8. Jeanette January 15, 2009 at 9:14 am #

Oh my goodness, I just used this and it rocks. It is so weird, I just sent UPS an email yesterday requesting they do this very thing. I received an auto response telling me how important my comments were. I’ll see what they write back, if they mention this site.

9. Marian Zubek February 11, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

Apael:Please help me for my HEROIC-PATRIOTIC VOLUNTEER ACTION for”UNITY”,because unity,solidarity,frendship is nothing in Chicago. Chicago is very big,scandal corruption,thefth,and very wrong action for people. I live in this city 25 years.I know evryhing wrong and good for people in this city. I am Polish,Catholic,Republican,SMART,Education,Intellegent person.I am very brutal discrimination,disqualification for life,health my person in Chicago-long time,because I love “Unity”,truth”Solidarity”,Liberty,Justice,law, Independence,Fremdshiop,help for poor people.(I work-Volunteer 24 years for this action in Chicago.This is my special mission). I am very Intellegent-SMART-Education Polish Person. I am Funder-Leader Polish National-Catholic -Republican people in the world”UNITY.(2000-present time. I love PEACE. My action-Volunteer was and is very brutal,arogance,special discrimination for Human Rights. I go to,for help to U.S.Federal Goverment in Chicago.Evething is IGNORED,SPECIAL-FALSE DISMISSING ITD. Staff in Chicago LOVE CORRUPTION.This is very scandal for JUSTICE in Chicago.My ask for HELP for JUSTICE is discqualification,ignored,discrimination from STAFF. This is very scandal. My address is: Mr.Marian Zubek.P.O.Box:408517-Chicago IL 60640. I wait for JUSTICE and HELP me for my greit political-patriotic idei for help humans.

10. Emland April 13, 2010 at 7:20 am #

Is it possible to get the source code for this? I have been looking for something just like this and always come back to

11. opmconsulting February 8, 2013 at 4:03 am #

Very impressive tool. I have read full article and all comments. This is very very good topic. You guys are doing awesome work and I am seeing my knowledge is also growing in term of Technologies. Thanks you guys…. Hey can i find only specific courier companies like parcel deliveries uk?

1. blog » Blog Archive » A New Home for Package Tracking: - November 25, 2008

[…] In 2006, I posted a handy new utility I’d cobbled together which was a mashup between package […]

2. - December 4, 2008

[…] I think my readers would enjoy this post, I’ll put a link to you right now. […]

3. Gizzmo’s Blog » Track your packages with - February 20, 2009

[…] purchase and decided to see if some one made a tracker that uses google maps. That search led me to THIS blog post. I was able to track my shipment knowing where it is in the process along the […]